I just watched a movie called "The Happiest Baby on the Block". There's a book by the same name, but I didn't want to take the time to read the book. I was hoping it would have advice to help with Cory's naps, but it was geared towards younger kids. According to the author, Dr. Harvey Karp, babies are age 0-8 months and toddlers are 8 months-5 years. So I have two toddlers!
But I was interested in Dr. Karp's methods for calming babies, so I'll record them here for future reference. Key ideas include:
The fourth trimester - first three months of a baby's life. Their brain is still so immature they behave more like a fetus than a baby, so they need to be treated more like a fetus, especially when calming them. It's OK to recreate elements of the womb - they won't be spoiled.
Calming strategies include the 5 "S's": swaddle (snuggly), shush (as loudly as they are crying. White noise or radio static work), side (put them on their side or stomach, if you get the right angle they automatically calm down), swinging (more like a fast jiggling, especially their head), sucking (if pacifier, don't use until nursing is fully established. When they're sucking, bump it with your finger so they think it's falling out. They'll suck harder and learn faster)
The movie was only 38 minutes, definitely worth watching for me. It didn't teach me much about sleep, but there were a few tips and I really liked the 5 S's.
No comments:
Post a Comment